Chris Scott interviews Kymberly Stephens, a Licensed Professional Counselor and Certified Expert Trauma Professional. Now over 2 years alcohol-free, Kymberly has used brainspotting herself and with clients to help to heal neural pathways associated with trauma and relapse. This uplifting episode gives insight into Kymberly’s own story, along with information about how to use brainspotting for addiction recovery.
As a bonus, you’ll also learn how to set up your own “Miracle Morning,” a concept made famous by the bestselling book by Hal Elrod!
Chris and Kymberly met at Tricia Lewis’ Recovery Happy Hour Retreat in Dallas in January 2020. After several deep discussions about the potential synergy between nutrient repair, holistic recovery, and brainspotting, Kymberly agreed to come on the show to share her knowledge with our listeners!
Here are the main topics discussed in this episode:
- Kymberly’s own story of “late-onset” alcohol dependence, which actually followed a long period of denial about alcohol
- How Kymberly’s co-occurring vascular disorder created trauma that contributed to her alcohol addiction
- How some people who don’t respond well to pain medications end up self-medicating with alcohol
- The experience of being an expert on trauma who falls into addiction
- How brainspotting is different from talk therapy
- The relevance of eye location in brainspotting
- What you can expect in your first brainspotting session
- Where the science of brainspotting came from
- The science behind brainspotting, which is supported by Psychology Today and used with professional athletes
- The role of a therapist in brainspotting and whether it’s possible to do it alone
- How many brainspotting sessions it typically takes to experience improvement
- The Activation Model vs the Resource Model
- Why the experiential, right side of the brain is relevant for brainspotting
- How The Miracle Morning by Hal Elrod helped both Chris and Kymberly to bring their morning routines to the next level
- Kymberly’s advice for taking the first modest steps to overcome addiction
Resources mentioned in this episode:
How to learn more and get in touch with Kymberly Stephens:
Right-click here and save as to download this episode on your computer.
Leave a Reply