Chris Scott interviews John Umhau, M.D., who has decades of experience researching and treating alcohol addiction, as well as researching nutrition and infectious diseases at NIH. In this episode, they talk about the coronavirus (COVID-19) and vitamin D3.
Here are the main topics discussed in this episode:
- History and research of remedies for colds and flu
- The cycle of flu season in correlation with the sun vitamin D changes
- Research on relevance of vitamin D
- Importance of getting out into the sun and/or supplementing with vitamin D3
- Other precautions, including nutrition, to take to help strengthen your health
- Difference between vitamin from the sun and taking supplements orally
- Correlation between environments with vitamin D deficiency being more susceptible to illnesses.
- Predictions of the life span of the coronavirus as the we get into the warmer months
- The pairing of Vitamin D with vaccines
- The differences and similarities between the coronavirus, the flu, and SARs
- Vitamin D deficiency and the correlation to health and fighting against coronavirus
- Recommendation of the level Vitamin D we need
- Predictions of the number of cases in the US
- How to protect our parents and older family members
Resources mentioned in this episode:
- Dr. Umhau’s website: AlcoholRecoveryMedicine.com
- Total Alcohol Recovery 2.0
Right-click here and save as to download this episode on your computer.
This is a great discussion on the benefits of vitamin D. Everyone should listen to Dr Umhau who is an expert on the subject
Thanks for commenting. And glad you enjoyed this episode.
Susan P Mitchelll says
My doctor has me on vitamin D2 by prescription as he found my vitamin d levels were deficient I take one per week and I believe it is 50,000 units. What is the difference between vitamin D2 and D3? Should I be taking D3 instead of D2?
Amazingly useful podcast. This needs to be viral, so to speak, so people can be better prepared and protected from this virus. Thanks, Chris! I’m posting the link and sending to my Mpls news stations. No brainer! I’ve already been using D3 (tar)
Chris, You were excellent! You asked questions based upon your knowledge. Interesting interview!
A few things I’d like to add:
1) Vitamin D is oil soluable. So, makes sense to take a D supplement with krill oil.
2) I’d lived in Norway for two HEAVENLY years! Staple protein is LOADS of fresh, wild caught fish. The Norsk play outside A LOT – 1600 kilometers of groomed cross-country trails around Oslo which morphed into summertime hiking trails. Plus, water everywhere! The endless Summer nights — every activity on the water. My Summer “thing” was kayaking in my skinny sea kayak. My Winter “thing” cross-country (Nordic) skiing. Bike trails and walking trails EVERYWHERE – no need for a vehicle. Impossible to get fat! I’d lost 50 pounds and was svelte. Cried the entire way back to US. “Warm welcome” at La Guardia. Everyone in the US was FAT. I’d wanted to go HOME to Norway.
3) Why do people only “do their jobs”? What has happened since I’d left the workforce to raise my children? THINK people THINK! Get self-motivated, be curious, explore beyond your “job”.
4) The guy who’d told you “not enough information” – ugh. Bought by big pharma or simply lazy.
5) fyi A bolus dose refers to people who can’t eat, so they have a bolus installed in their bodies. I was studying nursing for my encore career. Everytime after clinicals I got very, very sick. Now I know why. I’d had breast implants, which were fda approved but never tested. Net: I had zero immune system because my
body was fighting those massive foreign objects.
That’s all! I’m thrilled that your interviewee is focused on how health and daily living affects our ability to ward off these viruses!
Karen Fretz says
Gentlemen, wonderful podcast!
Get sun exposure WITHOUT cancer- causing, coral-reef-killing sunscreen. Btw, peeps who get too little sun get as much skin cancer as the peeps who get too much.
Every cell in your body has a Vit D receptor. Perhaps that’s why the VD research scientists suggest that optimal levels are ~60-70 ng/ul. We use quite a bit of it all the time…. like 24/7/365.
And as for cholesterol and VD synthesis… well, the people w/ the highest cholesterol usually have the highest VD concentrations, live the longest, and have the least amount of disease. 🌞🌞🌞
Note: to the guy whose doc is rxing D2, (smh) maybe you should shop around for a new doc.
Matt & Chris says
Thanks for the feedback! We’re stoked you enjoyed it, and thanks for the information you’ve shared in your comment. 🙂