In this episode, Chris Scott talks with Andrew Girvan and Chris Flower, the managers of US Cryotherapy in Studio City, California. Topics include how cryotherapy works, the physical and mental benefits of cryotherapy for addiction recovery, “red light” therapy, and recommendations for choosing a cryotherapy center.
Cryotherapy, which was designed to help with joint pain & inflammation, boosts norepinephrine and noradrenaline – feel-good chemicals associated with mood, focus, and energy – causing a “runner’s high” type of effect.
Because cryotherapy is “dry air” cold, it can get much colder than water (up to 180 degrees below zero at US Cryotherapy!) and you only need 3 minutes compared to a longer ice bath equivalent.
Aside from direct physical benefits, cryotherapy helps with stress relief, mood boosting, mental clarity, and calmness. Cryotherapy is also a useful “daily victory” for people in addiction recovery who are rebuilding their bodies and brains from scratch.
Whether you’re in early recovery or you’ve been recovered for years, you’ll definitely want to listen to this episode to learn all about how cryotherapy can benefit you!
Here are the main topics and resources discussed in this episode:
- Chris Flower gives a rundown of cryotherapy’s benefits for pain, mood issues, and even skin
- Andrew Girvan describes how he got into cryotherapy after hearing how some older NBA players used it to outperform younger stars
- Why cryotherapy can be useful for people who are in the detox process from alcohol, opiates, or other drugs
- How cryotherapy may increase “brown fat,” which is metabolically more active
- How Novathor (red light) therapy may be useful for opioid addiction and pain management
- How exactly cryotherapy works (you can bring a friend in with you at US Cryotherapy)
- Which types of cryotherapy are best according to recent studies
- Go to USCryotherapy.com and if you go to the Studio City location for a cryotherapy session, simply mention the Elevation Recovery Podcast and they’ll throw in some cutting-edge extras for you!