Opioid withdrawal, alcohol withdrawal, benzo withdrawal, and withdrawal from other drugs are some of the most horrific experiences a person could ever go through, and sometimes you can even die from withdrawal (if detoxing from alcohol or benzodiazepines).
Co-hosts Matt Finch and Chris Scott relive some of their most terrifying withdrawal experiences, but more importantly, they provide pro tips they’ve learned which have been helping countless individuals have more comfortable and safer withdrawals.
Chris was a chronic alcoholic that was drinking so heavily he eventually suffered from massive physical and psychological issues, which were caused by the toxic effects of ingesting far too much alcohol.
He explains in detail how alcohol destroys brain health and why the kindling phenomenon makes alcohol addiction a progressive condition.
Chris also provides tips for having a safe and more comfortable detox from alcohol, and mindset hacks for reframing quitting which can make the process less daunting.
Matt shares vivid details of his worst substance withdrawals over the span of nearly two decades of polysubstance abuse.
He talks about the symptoms from withdrawal off opioids, benzos, alcohol, antidepressants, methamphetamine, cannabis, and nicotine, and how he uses those memories to deter him from ever going down that path again.
Matt also provides essential tips for anyone that is going through withdrawal or planning on quitting, and these methods have already helped millions of people quit over the decades.
Here are the main topics discussed in this episode:
- The neuroscience of dependence
- Alcohol withdrawal
- Opioid withdrawal
- Benzo withdrawal
- Nicotine withdrawal
- Methamphetamine withdrawal
- Cannabis withdrawal
- The kindling phenomenon from alcohol addiction and withdrawal
- Why withdrawal is so horrific
- They synergistic “hell on earth” that results from the combination of the physical and psychological acute withdrawal symptoms
- Pro tips for a safe withdrawal that is more comfortable
- NAD+ Therapy for alcohol and drug withdrawal
- Ibogaine Therapy for drug withdrawal
- Benzodiazepines as a helpful comfort med while going through alcohol detox
- Gabapentin for relieving alcohol and drug withdrawal symptoms
- Getting prescribed comfort meds from a doctor to mitigate withdrawal symptoms
- Medical detox facilities and how they help
- Alternative detox methods
- The home detox or home-taper self-directed quitting plan
- Reframing withdrawal and quitting as a transformative process to embrace rather than fear
Websites mentioned in this episode:
Courses and Coaching Programs mentioned in this episode:
- Total Alcohol Recovery 2.0
- Alcohol Recovery Coaching with Chris Scott
- Ultimate Opiate Recovery Coaching with Matt Finch
- The Academy of Opioid Addiction Recovery
- Total Opiate Recovery
- Ultimate Opiate Detox 4.0
- Ultimate Suboxone Detox
- Ultimate Kratom Detox
- Ultimate Methadone Detox
- Recovery Coach Blueprint