By far… the number one best thing a person can do to prevent relapsing back into addiction is developing eating habits that are tailor-suited for their individual biochemistry and individualized needs.
There are general guidelines to go by for all people that want to avoid relapsing back into addiction.
However, to get the most benefits, you need to test things out and see what you respond the best too.
Nutrition should be an area of lifelong mastery for anyone that has quit drugs and/or alcohol.
The types of foods we eat play a huge role in the way our brain works and the way we feel.
If we don’t feel good, or especially if we have anxiety, depression, fatigue, or other symptoms, it increases the chances that a person will go back to using substances to feel how they want to feel.
However, by choosing the right foods and eating habits for your unique biochemical profile and specific needs of the phase of life you’re in…
You can feel great consistently and thus not even think about going back to relying on the maladaptive coping tool of substance abuse or addiction.
Here are the main topics discussed in this episode:
- Importance of nutrition for addiction recovery
- Importance of nutrition for mental health
- Importance of nutrition for relapse prevention
- Diet tips that could apply to mostly everyone quitting or abstaining from addiction
- Different types of diets that have shown proven results in a large percentage of people
- Myths and misconceptions about nutrition
- ‘Biochemical Individuality’
- Biochemical Individuality and the need to customize your recovery diet to fit your unique needs
- “There is No One Recovery Diet for Everyone”
- How to start eating healthily
- Worst foods to eat while in addiction and also recovery
- Harmful consequences of eating processed sugar or too much sugar in general
- Neurotransmitter deficiencies resulting from consuming processed sugars
- Hypoglycemia and how it causes relapse
- Tips for reversing hypoglycemia
- The types of diets, foods, and beverages that Matt Finch and Chris Scott feel the best on
- Matt and Chris’s favorite recovery meals
- Inflammation caused by a high omega-6 fats / low omega-3 fats diet
- Helpful ways to get more omega-3’s and reduce omega-6’s
- Recovery and mental health benefits of grass-fed red meat
- Anti-anxiety foods and diet
- Shrimp to boost serotonin
- ‘Keto Diet’ basics and benefits
- ‘Carnivore Diet’ basics and benefits
- Carnivore Diet for autoimmune disorders
- Dr. Shawn Baker’s research on the Carnivore Diet
- ‘Paleo Diet’ basics and benefits
- ‘Mediterranean Diet’
- ‘Vegan Diet’ works for some and not for others, just like all diets
- ‘Elimination Diet’ basics and benefits and how to get started
- ‘Reset Diet’ basics and benefits
- Macronutrients overview and basics
- Micronutrients overview and basics
- High-quality fats benefits
- The truth of about saturated fats from red meat
- Genetic testing to find food allergies and more info, thus being able to better customize your recovery diet
- Research and self-testing
- Keeping a food journal
Resources mentioned in this episode:
- The Evolutionary Logic Behind the Carnivore Diet | Shawn Baker on Health Theory
- The Mood Cure by Julia Ross
- The Carnivore Diet by Dr. Shawn Baker
- Genius Foods by Max Lugavere
Courses mentioned in the episode outro: