Synopsis: Matt Finch interviews Chris Engen, Founder of Nutrition 4 Recovery, on biochemical restoration therapies for addiction recovery, including amino acid therapy, nutritional therapies, fixing hypoglycemia, food allergies and sensitivities, gut health, and much more. Chris is Board Certified in Holistic Nutrition and holds a Nutrition Consultant Certificate as well as an Advanced Certification as a Recovery Nutrition Coach.
About Chris Engen
Amino Acid Therapy, the use of supplemental amino acids to replenish depleted neurotransmitter systems, is Chris Engen’s specialty. She helps people balance their brains so they can cope with stress and make good choices for their lives! Amino acids changed her life and were the MISSING PIECE to her recovery program. Chris has helped hundreds of people successfully use amino acids to curb their cravings for alcohol, sugar, and other substances and addictive behaviors. Not just for addiction though, it’s useful to anyone, because she believes everyone is in recovery from something!
Chris is a cum laude graduate of UC Santa Barbara. She is Board Certified in Holistic Nutrition (BCHN ™) and holds a Nutrition Consultant Certificate (NC) from Bauman College of Holistic Nutrition and Culinary Arts. Chris also holds an Advanced Certification as a Recovery Nutrition Coach (CRNC2) for Nutritional Therapy / Amino Acid Therapy from The Academy for Addiction and Mental Health Nutrition. (www.aminoacidtherapy.com).
She is a past board member and currently on the Advisory Board for the Alliance for Addiction Solutions (www.allianceforaddictionsolutions.com) Chris implemented Amino Acid Therapy into a rehabilitation program in Northern California in 2018, which unfortunately was short-lived but she continues to pursue the Alliance’s mission to get nutrient therapy into rehabilitation programs.
Here are the main topics discussed in this episode:
- How Chris was successful in all areas of life, however, for some reason she could not quit binge-drinking
- Learning about the relationship between alcoholism and hypoglycemia
- Learning about the importance of amino acid therapy and nutrition for alcohol recovery
- How hypoglycemia can deactivate the prefrontal cortex (PFC) and thus why it can be difficult to avoid alcohol, sugar, or drug cravings
- How to reverse hypoglycemia
- How to combine the right macronutrient combos for addiction recovery
- The “Aha Moment” when learning about the relationship between substances and neurotransmission in the brain
- How to use amino acid therapy for addiction recovery and mental health optimization
- The Amino Acid Therapy Online Course recently launched by Chris Engen
- Products and services that Chris Engen offers
Links to Resources Mentioned in this Episode:
- Amino Acid Therapy Online Course
- Alliance For Addiction Solutions
- Academy For Addiction & Mental Health Nutrition
- She Recovers Foundation
Disclaimer: This episode is for informational/educational use only and does not constitute medical advice. Please consult with your physician if you believe you may have a health condition.