Face it Together is an addiction management coaching organization that helps people overcome addiction using a proven system they developed. Using peer coaching strategies and assessment tools, clients are able to learn about addiction, recovery, and how they can achieve a state of health and happiness like never before.
Coaching is a growing form of addiction treatment that many individuals are using to overcome their challenges.
And one of the most innovative organizations utilizing this modality of therapy is Face it Together.
In this episode, you’ll get to learn from Dave Jansa, an Addiction Management Coach that has been involved with Face it Together since their conception.
About Dave Jansa
Dave is a long-term survivor of the chronic disease of addiction. He started with Face It TOGETHER as a volunteer in 2009 and was instrumental to the creation of our loved one coaching program.
Like most peer addiction management coaches, Dave has no formal degree but rather learned about addiction through lived experience and self-study.
He successfully dealt with his own addiction and also experienced the secondhand effects of addiction with many family members, including a son. He has learned through extensive reading and research as well as exposure to many co-workers, friends, and clients throughout his lifetime.
Dave first started with Face It TOGETHER as a volunteer coach in 2009.
He helped lead and innovate Face It TOGETHER’s work to provide evidence-based peer coaching.
He’s also one of the creators of FIT’s loved one coaching program, including its curriculum, training, and execution.
Dave has served as a peer addiction management coach, a peer loved one coach, director of partner relations, national trainer and most recently the position of program advisor.
Dave has a passion for empowering those who are struggling with their loved one’s addiction.
He was nominated in 2012 for the 211 Helpline volunteer of the year for his work advancing addiction wellness in his community.
He’s also served as a facilitator for SMART Recovery and SMART Recovery Family & Friends mutual support groups.
Here are the main topics discussed in this episode:
- Dave’s story of alcoholism and recovery
- How Dave helped his son with an addiction
- Face it Together, an addiction management coaching organization that is a community-based program
- The story of how Face it Together was created
- The program overview of Face it Together
- Myths about addiction that are common in the traditional treatment realm
- How peer coaching works
- Statistics about Face it Together’s clients and improvements after coaching
- How to help a loved one with an addiction
- The trouble with ‘Tough Love’
- Why Dave teaches his clients that have family members or other loved ones with a substance use disorder to forget tough love and instead to use a compassion-based model of treatment
- The biochemical component of addiction and recovery
- In the Realm of Hungry Ghosts by Dr. Gabor Mate
- Pleasure Unwoven by Dr. Kevin McCauly
- SMART Recovery
How to learn more and get in touch with Dave Jansa and Face it Together:
- Face it Together Coaching Program
- Get Started with Face it Together
- Face it Together Coaches & Care Team