In this episode, Chris Scott interviews Matt, one of his first alcohol recovery clients who has now been alcohol-free for 3 years.
A full time family business operator and student, Matt discusses how he went from “bad boy” alcoholic to alcohol-free (and anxiety-free), pursuing his dreams, and happily married.
Chris still remembers when Matt texted him to tell him he was engaged!
This was the first of many victories that Matt has enjoyed since dominating alcohol addiction.
If you’re in early recovery and wonder what the vantage point from 3 years might look like, you’ll definitely want to listen to this episode!
Here are the main topics and resources discussed in this episode:
- Matt describes his physical need to drink more than his friends in high school
- Matt discusses how he realized alcohol was contributing to his anxiety, even though it gave him relief in the short-term
- Matt’s epiphany after learning about post-acute withdrawal (PAWS)
- The supplements that helped Matt the most
- Why exercise is Matt’s #1 recommendation to others trying to quit drinking
- How accountability helped Matt make it through “early recovery”
- How Matt’s mindset reached the point where the idea of drinking became illogical and antithetical to his New Identity
- How faith, reframing, and embracing uncertainty helped Matt overcome his attachment to alcohol
- How Matt quit smoking a pack of cigarettes a day
- How reading and cultivating virtue have taken the place of drinking for Matt
- Drinking Sucks! by Chris Scott
The Mood Cure by Julia Ross
- Julia Ross on the Elevation Recovery Podcast